Sønderborg International School manages an international Kindergarten in the local municipal Kindergarten Engelshøj. SIS Kindergarten was founded in 2016 as a joint private-public partnership with Sønderborg Kommune.
This decision followed the identification of a need to serve both the international and internationally minded community within the local area. Initially there were ten places but due to high demand there are now twenty-five places, which are in high demand.
Opening hours of the Kindergarten Engelshøj Monday-Thursday 06:30-16:45 & Friday 06:30-16:00. The International Group is open between 08:00-16:00 and the international children are therefore part of the Danish kindergarten group in the morning from 06:30-08:00 and again from 16:00-16:45.
The SIS Kindergarten is for children with a variety of backgrounds. Some of the current children in KG are from the Danish community while others are from several different countries. Some speak English fluently while others join us without any English ability when they start. We aim to support the learning of all our students regardless of their starting abilities.
Academically, children in KG receive a foundation in basic literacy and numeracy skills. Socially, children in KG learn how to play, learn and have fun with children who are “not just like them”. Wonderful friendships regularly develop from such an educational environment.
– Settling in activities
– Structured learning activities
– Lunch & Fruit time
– Free play
– Monthly plans
The use of the Early Years Foundation Stage curriculum at SIS supports the aims of our Four Guiding Principles:
- Every child is a unique child, who is constantly learning and can be resilient, capable, confident, and self-assured.
- Children learn to be strong and independent through positive relationships.
- Children learn and develop well in enabling environments, in which their experiences respond to their individual needs and there is a strong partnership between practitioners and parents, and/or carers.
- Children develop and learn in different ways and at different rates. The framework covers the education and care of all children in early years provision.